Since 1912 the metal art workshop of Harjes have produced candle holders, bowls and other objects from bronze, copper and brass. This family business is now in its third generation.
The armourer and metal sculptor Friedrich Fidi Harjes (1888 - 1952) established the workshop 1912. In the 1920's, he spent some time at the Barkenhoff artist colony in Worpswede with Heinrich Vogeler, famous for his Art Nouveau paintings. He returned to Bremen in 1924 and two years later his son Michael was born. Michael Harjes gained a degree at the Bremen art school and after passing his master's exam took over the running of the family firm in the 1950's.
Michael Harjes (1926-2006) brought a new look and direction to the family business. The sculptural qualities of casting with bell bronze gave a special dynamic to the surface structure. The artist's rendition of natural objects into bronze, gain from the warmth and beauty of the material and the casting process, and give the Harjes` products that special quality that is so easily recognised.
The workshop and design department and the exhibition rooms lie in the rural estates of Siedscheljer heather on a former farming estate not far from Schwanewede, where the company has been since 1984.
The family owned enterprise is continued by grandson Tobias Harjes in Lower Saxony's Meyenburg. Like his father, he learned the craft of armourer in the family business. The business still follows the philosophy of its founder: curiosity and the joy of shaping beautiful things.
Filmische Einblicke in die Arbeit bei Harjes Metallkunst
Michael Harjes (*1926-2006)